Vinadio and Neghino Forts - from Demonte - Stura Valley
Departure from Demonte. Ascend by trail p64 to Case Lusè, Gau, Rifodon and S.Grato and then cross-country trail to Forte di Vinadio. The Fort wanted by King Charles Albert required work for more than a decade from 1834 to 1847, has a linear development of more than 1 kilometer.
In the village take P06 to Fort Neghino (beautiful view of Demonte, Vallone S.Anna and Riofreddo, mirror fortresses of Serziera and Piroat). Fort Neghino, built in 1875 to defend the Fort of Vinadio below, has an elliptical shape, in the upper part were installed artIglieria emplacements and in the lower part rifle positions.
Continue on p06 keeping downhill on the orographic right of the Neirassa Stream.
Back in Vinadio trail p67 (Sagna, Castellar delle Vigne, Baile) and then trail p64 (Casali Piron and Casali Ciancamentes) descending by p64b to Aisone. This is the most technical part, small path with some tight switchbacks, short exposed sections. Return by state road to Aisone and Demonte.
Fraternali map no. 14 Valle Grana, Bassa Valle Stura di Demonte - scale 1:25,000
Fort of Vinadio, exterior
Fort of Vinadio, interior
Fort Neghino, exterior
Fort Neghino, interior
Fort of Vinadio from Fort Neghino
Vinadio, Vallone di S. Anna
Caves of Aisone